Thursday, May 17, 2007

Gremlins lurking..

For the past week, I have been woken up from my deep slumber at around midnight (every night) to the alarm of my car blaring away. It would go away after I reset it, and I suspect it must be the proximity IR sensor in the car that set off the alarm. Normally it shows the sign of a weakening car battery, but I have changed it about 6 months ago. This is due to the fact that my battery died on me on Xmas day, leaving me with no choice except to summon my trusted friend and mechanic. Luckily he was in town then and I was in the office due to a flood situation in the south of the country.

With a change of battery, the alarm was fine and dandy again. Mind you, the three pointed star replacement part do come with a premium over the rest. It looks like the symptoms are coming back again, but I think I’ve got a year warranty on the replacement battery, so battery, if you decided to give up the ghost, you better do it during the warranty period, or you could forget about recycling and has to suffer a fiery end….

But that’s not the only thing that has been acting strangely now, my dvd player is also doing it. It could play most of the disc most of the time, usually the boy’s selection, but when it was my time to put up my feet and watch my choice of dvd, then it would be stuck in limbo. Ditto to the tv remote too (which have suffered premature death yesterday, RIP). All the electronics are conspiring and ganging up on me or it could be a gremlin that is lurking somewhere causing havoc.

Things at work are also no better. We have been experiencing equipment mal-operation from a certain manufacturer for the past year. It hits where it matters most, resulting in huge losses every time it occurs. We can’t anticipate when it’s going to happen next, plus it’s hitting us across the nation. And every time it happened, yours truly had to go in as an investigator. Where's the nearest gremlin-buster when you really need them?

No comments: