Saturday, February 23, 2008

Here's one I made earlier

I've been thinking about how to remember Adi's birth, especially to capture the things that she has when she's small. I meant like foot or hand print that we could look at years later and say that how small you were when you were born but it will only be a print. So in looking high & low, I've came across an imprinting & casting for the lil one hand and feet.


The box - available from Mothercare

The box and the salesperson said that this is an easy to do, safe for the baby and 100% foolproof. Imagine how I felt when I botched up the first attempt (not feeling so clever then). The thing that pisses me off is that I followed all the instructions to the t, plus including my own set of failsafe methods only to botch it up. Grrr....

Luckily, the supplied kit has more than enough material to cover for the failed first attempt. After becoming wiser, I have in fact manages to get 3 castings out of the remaining material with the luxury to choose from in case I screw up again.

The whole process is quite lengthy as the time needed for preparation and letting the plaster set. From experience, I knew that this is one process that cannot be rushed in order to achieve the highest possible quality my skills (and luck) would allow me.

Pointers to those who would like to try this, ensure that the container for the mold would fit the subject nicely, too big then it would be a waste of material and too small you wouldn't get all the details. Also, the imprinting material sets quickly, so better for you to mix a small batch and cast the mold rather than mixing it all in one go.

The mixing of the porcelain plaster is also quite tedious for you to ensure a good result, no air pockets and a smooth finish. Please observe the instruction in doing layers on casting, rather than pouring it all in one go. Point to not is to use a flexible container for the mold as it would facilitate the removal of the mold and ensuring that you did not break any digits off the cast.

The results?




I think I did OK. Well not in the league of professional/amateur artist but I should be able to preserve Adi lil hand & feet in 3D for our memories.


No comments: