Saturday, February 24, 2007

The innocence of kids



I managed to catch snippets of the movie during the CNY break and what I saw was quite good that I've gone out and bought the movie myself. The movie revolves around the childhood memories of 5 friends growing up in the 80's.

As a product of the 80's myself, the movie brought out in droves memories and nostalgic moments in my life. I could still remember at that time the only thing that you need is a transport, which is most likely going to be a 'chopper' bicycle, with selectable speed on the centre beam (bmx came much later), the games are mostly makeshift and not store bought, eg. teng-teng, galah panjang, soldiers, police & thief, konda-konde, selipar tiga, doctor (ATARI was the in-thing, as was Game&Watch and Pac-Man is the coolest game ever), and kids could wander around without any care in their minds. The adults would need to be notified that we're going out to play, and normally we would end up playing way off from where we told them in the first place.

The world felt different then than it is now. The pace of life was not hectic, we were looking forward for any chance of a break from school to continue with playstuff. My mum is quite strict with afternoon naptimes during the weekdays, but we have devised a method to maximise our playtime and quickly rushes in for *fake nap* and when she was asleep, we would slip out of the house to continue playing again. Also pocket money was kinda small at 30 sens per day, so that if you missed the school bus home, than bye-bye your pocket money as the bus fare home is also 30 sens.

Also surfaced the memories of saving up to buy 'branded' stuff, eg Nike's, OP, skateboards ( Powell Peralta, Tony Hawk). We were instilled the 'savings culture' so that we would appreciate more of the thing got.

As for now, I wouldn't think that I could let Aiman wonder around our neighbourhood, maybe not now, but who knows. Wouldn't want him to be deprived of those experience gained from playing around and discovering things on your own. But what I could do now is reminiscing the olden days for him, even though it may sound 'ancient' to him.

No comments: