Thursday, April 24, 2008

e-Filing

This is the second year that I have utilised e-filing for my tax returns. I've decided to do it early this year as from previous experience waiting till the last minute is not advisable due to system congestion (as per my co's performance appraisal exercise). Surprisingly, I found out that the system was ok and in fact fast when I accessed it even from the office. But then again I have a few gripes about it as per the following list :

  1. Trying to remember your password from last year was a PITA. The system will try to lock you out after the third unsuccessful try. How could you remember it when you only use it once a year?
  2. You'll know how much you owed IRB after filling up the form but what you can't see is how much they owe you. Easy in Hard out for them eh?
  3. I have jumped into a higher tax bracket for this year and attempts on further reduction s futile. Wonder whether the system recorded all the figure inputted in the event of adjustment to lower your taxable income?
  4. Onus of record keeping of the deductions documents is on you and the documents has to be kept for a minimum of seven years.
  5. The song that they use too promote it is CORNY ...
All in all I think that this is a good move by the IRB to collect due tax. Saves you the hassle of actually filling out and queuing at your local IRB to submit the forms. Just hope that they could change the theme song on the adverts...


No comments: